Bishop’s Castle is small attractive
border market town granted a
Royal charter in 1573 . It is built on a steep south
facing hill. At
the top is the House on Crutches museum. There are many good
pubs and restaurants plus
two breweries. Along
with antique ,book and
craft shops with general provision stores as well.
There is a tourist information
Old Time 29 High Street where
you can pick up leaflets on what is around locally and also
details on the shuttle bus service that run out to many places
including the Long Mynd and Stiperstones.
Special events are held including Beer festivals,
Walking festivals, the Michaelmas Fair and the annual
Agricultural Show. Bishop’s Castle was recently featured on
television in the programme “Heart of the Country”.
“The quietest place under the sun”
(according to A.E. Houseman’s poem A Shropshire Lad).
Named after the river that it stands on
is a small town of tradition and history. At the heart is the
14th century stone packhorse bridge suited to a
single carriageway. There is a ruined castle once the sight of
many battles and originally a motte and bailey rebuilt in
stone around 1140. Trinity
Hospital is still residential. Parts are open to the public.
It was once a chapel and almshouses built in 1615 for 12 old
men of good character. The chapel and gardens are a peaceful
place to visit. Saint George’s church was partially destroyed
by Cromwell’s General however it was restored in 1877.
At the beginning of May the annual
Green Man festival takes place and during August the Clun Carnival
and Show hosts a week long series of events.
Clun has several eating and drinking
establishments with nearby shops of crafts and art works for a